Fish and chips or white fish in batter with chips is a classic British dish. We’ve adapted the recipe from celebrity chef Jamie Oliver: you’re going to love it!
Basically, they are pieces of white fish (usually hake or cod) battered and fried and served with french fries and some kind of sauce (mayonnaise or hollandaise are two great options).
This recipe has no secrets and, prepared at home, is a good choice for lunch or dinner. The amount of fat in this fish and chips, one of the reasons it is considered an unhealthy fast food dish, has nothing to do with that found in many places.
Index (quick access to content)
How to make Jamie Oliver’s Fish & Chips
The key to this dish, in addition to a good fish, is to prepare a very crispy batter so that the fish is light and flavorful. Jamie Oliver’s recipe uses a mixture of flour, very cold beer and a little yeast, and we liked the result very much.
Another key part of this dish is controlling the frying. The fish should be fried when the oil is hot, but not so hot that it burns on the outside and is raw on the inside. If the oil is cold, the fish will absorb too much oil and become greasy.
- 4 cod loins (approx. 140 g each).
- 2 teaspoons baking powder.
- 150 g of wheat flour, a little more flour to coat the fish.
- 200 ml of cold beer
- Abundant olive oil for frying.
– Cut the cod into cubes, all of the same size.
– Mix the cold beer with the flour and baking powder in a bowl. Beat with a whisk until you obtain a homogeneous mixture without lumps.
– Heat a deep frying pan (but not too large) with plenty of olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot but not smoking, it is ready to start frying the fish. You will know it is ready if you sprinkle some breadcrumbs or flour and it bubbles.
– Flour the cod cubes.
– Then coat the fish pieces in the batter, drain the excess and start frying immediately.
When the fish pieces are golden brown on one side, turn them over and fry them on the other side. Do not fry more than two or three pieces of fish at a time so that the temperature of the oil does not drop.
– When they are golden brown on the other side, remove them to a plate with absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
– Repeat this process with all the fish pieces.
– Next, peel and cut the potatoes into sticks of the same thickness.
– Heat another frying pan with olive oil and, before it starts to smoke, add the potatoes in batches and fry them over medium heat until tender. Take them out and leave them on a plate with absorbent paper. They should be tender, not browned (we will do this later).
– When you have all the fried potatoes on the plate, turn up the heat a little and with the oil already very hot, add the potatoes in batches and fry them for a few seconds to brown them and make them crispy. Do this in several batches so that the oil temperature does not drop.
– Remove the excess oil by placing them on a plate with absorbent paper and season them with salt and pepper to taste.
– Serve the cod with the potatoes and your favorite sauce. You can choose from mayonnaise or ketchup to a delicious homemade hollandaise sauce.
– And now you have Jamie Oliver’s delicious fish and chips ready to feast on: enjoy!